Lean Manufacturing Engineer- (Newaygo, Michigan).
SALARY: $70 - $85K depending on experience + Bonus at 5-10% of Base.
* Please use our Project code: (0306-B) when submitting credentials.*
My client's parent company is a multi- billion dollar global automotive supplier. They have over 100,000 employees at 300 + manufacturing facilities worldwide. They manufacture automotive parts supplied to primarily: General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler. Outside of the Big 3, they also supply to companies like Volkswagen, BMW, Toyota, etc.
- Roughly 800 employees with over $200 million in sales. (Mold, Paint and Assembly Operations. )- 3 shift operations. Main customers are GM, Honda, and Chrysler. Plant is located in Newaygo, Michigan that's about 30 miles from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Products: range from interior and exterior plastic parts, to misc. electronic/mechanical parts. They are a plastic injection molding company so they design it, mold it, paint it, assemble it and then ship it to the customer.
Primary role will be implementing proven lean strategies. We need someone with experience rolling out lean principles on the shop floor, someone who can explain it in layman's terms to the workers. Experience with waste reduction, standardized work (creating it, checking it to make sure its working etc). One-piece flow, just in time production, 5s, trying to keep whip to a minimum, only building what you need, inventory reduction, etc. This person will be division wide so they would implement these lean initiatives in both plants Newaygo and Grand Haven. This person is going to put out a fires and make managers lives better, fix issues on the lines, etc. You will have one direct report, a Lean Specialist.
A couple other items the Lean ME would be responsible for
1.) All Divisional Cost save ideas. You would solicit and track ideas from all core Operations Team Managers with the goal of $2Mil in savings each year.
2.) Employee Suggestions program. Making sure that all ideas submitted by hourly personnel are properly reviewed by respective department managers, dispositioned and closed with the employees. You will also verify the amount of cost saves and recommend payouts for their suggestions.
The ideal candidate will be self-driven and have experience in Lean manufacturing implementation. (Assembly experience is a must.) You should have a well-rounded manufacturing background in automotive molding or plastic injection and assembly operations. Initially this person will train current employees to handle Kiazen events. You will teach them how to set up an efficient line that will produce accordingly. Assembly equipment consists of PLC driven electric and pneumatically powered stations. Typical assembly processes are heat staking, screw driving, glass press, tape applications, and end of line testers. All equipment is very poka yoke intensive with items like cameras, color sensors, proximity Switches and measuring devices. We need a person who can standardize work - One Piece Flow, JIT, etc. (It would be considered a plus if you have black/green belt.)
They are a growing -sales doubled in last 5 years. Increasing staff due to a number of upcoming new program launches. Flag ship division - Good Benefits and excellent opportunities for career advancement/growth. Entrepreneurial culture. Low turnover.
- 5 + years Lean Manufacturing/Lean Process/Continuous Improvement Engineering experience. (Automotive Plastics Tier 1 in an assembly driven manufacturing plant preferred)
- Automotive Industry experience is a must have.
- Assembly experience is a must.
- Lean Manufacturing - Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma, Kiazen, etc.
- Teaching/Training expertise.
- Multi-tasking skills - Able to wear multiple hats and work well under pressure
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Leadership exp. Self-motivated/good written and verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- BS Degree (IE, ME, or the like.).Degree is a plus, but not a must.
BENEFITS: Company offers a comprehensive benefits package; Medical, Dental, Vision, Educational Reimbursement, 401K, etc. Will provide a relocation package for the ideal candidate. (Local Preferred)